Saturday, January 19, 2008

19 January 2008

Its been fairly quiet of late although I did manage to find a male Snowy Owl out around the St-Clet lanes, my sixth individual of the winter so far. The garden continues to attract redpolls, possibly because I put enough Nyger (PC spelling) seed out to bankrupt an average third World country. The flock has diminished as the weather has warmed and only around 60 are coming down, and with only the occasional Hoary or rostrata amongst them. I have managed a few more photos, see below.

I've also been nipping down to the pits as often as possible, hoping for a snowy there or perhaps a short-eared, no luck so far. I have a regular immature Northern Grey Shrike that likes to sing a bit and regular flock of Bohemian Waxwings, 31 today, but little else, still it will soon be spring.

Perhaps tomorrow I'll muster enough energy to go and look for a King Eider down the road, its in a pretty spacky plumage but as they are usually no nearer than eight hours drive I should make the effort.

Eat quickly little redpolls, you only have to scroll down to see what is waiting a bit of a snack!

2 comments:

Seb said...

Bohemian Waxwings at the pits. Nice. Where exactly did you see them? I went yesterday aroud 7:40 a.m. and I didn't see anything at all (chickadees aside). See you on monday.


Seb

kaede said...

Nice shots of the redpolls. Today was the first time this particular bird has come to my feeders.
My friends and I spent over an hour patrolling all roads through St-Clet looking for a Snowy Owl, to no avail. Is there any area in particular they congregate?
I was lucky enough to see one last year, but this year has been an effort in futility.
Any info would be much appreciated.

Darren